Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Playing with Passion

Walking on the cusp of Albany Park and Ravenswood Manor, the Narloch Piano Studio might not be the most noticeable business. But if you listen closely, you may recognize an Alexander Scriabin composition fighting against the sound of the Brown Line CTA train.

Inside, Christopher Narloch at his new grand piano and lets his fingers caress the ivory keys. The 28-year-old Wisconsin native practices as he waits for any one of his roughly 50 students to show up for their private lesson.

“Each and every kid that comes in is just really cool to work with,” said Narloch. “Every time they come in, I really see their progress.”

Narloch only sees the student once a week, but said they typically practice outside of the studio so they stay on top of their craft.

Playing the piano was a part of Narloch’s life from an early age. The son of a pianist and piano professor, Narloch picked up the craft at the age of 6; coincidently, some of Narloch’s clients are the same age he was when he first began playing.

At his quarter-century life mark—shortly after earning his Master's in Piano Performance and Pedagogy from Bowling Green State University—Narloch decided to make his passion a career choice that he wouldn’t hate.

“It’s really my dream job,” said Narloch. “Everyday I come in and am so grateful for what I have and what I do.”

After college, Narloch taught private lessons throughout the city, at numerous churches and twice a week at Sherwood Community Music School. Narloch had thoughts about opening up his own business while he was in school, but he never crunched the numbers to see if it was feasible.

It was only after his friend and colleague decided to leave town and close up their piano shop that Narloch pushed himself to make this his career.

“I kind of envisioned this. I already had an idea of how I wanted to start it and how I wanted it to look,” Narloch said. “Working in Chicago for a year before I did this helped me understand the rates really well and what my gross income might be and what I could risk up front.”

The rate is $124-per-student, per-month, with one common goal; working towards four yearly recitals. Two of the recitals are hosted at the studio, one is across the street in the Ravenswood Manor Park and another at North Park Covenant Church.

The kids not only learn how to play, Narloch teaches them about classical and modern composers.


When asked what his favorite music was, he smiled and gently replied, “Classical.”

No comments:

Post a Comment