Monday, December 9, 2013

Chicago Serbian Film Festival

The Serbian Film Festival was presented at the Muvico in Rosemont from Friday, Dec. 6 to Sunday, Dec. 8. I had the pleasure of attending Saturday’s screening of “Krugovi,” a movie set during the Bosnian War in which a Serbian solider saves the life of an innocent Muslim who was being beaten by members of the Serbian Army. The Serbian solider dies for his troubles.
Needless to say, the movie was dark, but the camaraderie in the theatre amongst the viewers was beautiful. In my 11 years of being part of the Serbian community in Chicago, I have never witnessed such a feeling of togetherness from a group of about 200 Serbs.
At the end of the movie, the audience gave a standing ovation for the film and the group of individuals who organized the event. After the show, I stuck around the lobby just to listen critiques of the movie. I was sure I would hear people say “Fu** the Muslim” or “He should have died, not the Serb,” but I didn’t.
I heard person after person commenting on how courageous both the Serbian soldier and Muslim civilian were. (Later in the movie, the Muslim civilian puts his family on the line to help the ex-girlfriend of the Serbian solider.)
During the movie, a Serbian who I recognized was appalled and shouted “look at us, no wonder everyone hates us,” referring to America’s involvement in the war and Kosovo.
While that comment was harsh (not every Serbian soldier antagonized Muslim civilians), it did show me something I didn’t know existed – Serbians who were nationalistic, but at the same time compassionate and reasonable.

The entire three-day event was held with professionalism and class. I was proud to see people working so hard to bring a part of Serbia to the United States in a positive light.


No comments:

Post a Comment