Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Telling a large story through a small problem!

In early October, the Bosnian National Soccer team cemented their place in the 2014 World Cup Finals in Brazil. Shortly after, Daria Sito-Sucic and Gordana Katana wrote an article about the continued ethnic divide in Bosnia amongst Bosnian Serbs, Bosnian Croats and Bosniaks, using the success of the team to tell the story.
The article explains why this was such a big deal for the national team and how communities within Bosnia were effected by the game. In Banja Luka, the main city of the Serb Republic in Bosnia, the game was not aired. People who wanted to watch the game had to order special channels that broadcast the event. It was a great way to show how such a large story can impact the smallest community in an already small country.
The writers used the success of the ethnically diverse Bosnian team to highlight the dysfunctions of the country’s government.
The Bosnian federation was on the verge of bankruptcy. Three former officials, one of them an ex-commander of the Muslim-dominated Bosnian army during the war, were jailed last year for tax evasion and embezzlement.
Many foreign-based players and devoted soccer fans boycotted the national team, angry at political interference which they said was spoiling otherwise harmonious relations among players and coaches.”
It reminded me of my experience working on my midterm project. Because I am Bosnian, I had trouble talking to Serbian parents that sent their children to St. Sava Academy. I clearly had no dog in the fight, but it was hard knowing that people didn’t want to talk to me because of who I am or where I come from. I thought I left that back in Bosnia in 1997.

My article isn’t as much about the dysfunctions of the school, but the importance of the school to the Serbian community. The article about the Bosnian National Team is the same. The article mentions the success of the team, but it’s more about the dysfunction of the government and the effect of that on national pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment